Tertiary Education Grant & Tumate Mahuta Memorial GrantTertiary education grants are available to registered iwi members pursuing higher education, whether it is at a university, technical institute, private training entity or waananga.
Please note that this application round is specifically for the 2024 academic year. If you received a grant in 2023, you are still eligible to apply for a 2024 grant. We've updated our grant eligibility criteria to align better with the traditional academic calendar. Now, iwi members can apply for one grant per calendar year, rather than per financial year.
Te Whakakitenga o Waikato Incorporated (“we” or “us” or “Waikato Tainui”)
Terms and Conditions
- Registered Waikato-Tainui tribal member
- The tertiary institution and course must be in New Zealand and NZQA accredited.
- For under-graduate study (NZQA Levels 1 to 7), up to three years of applications (except for when under-graduate study requires more than three years study at our discretion)
- For post-graduate study (NZQA Levels 8 and 9), up to three years of applications (except for when post-graduate study requires more than three years study at our discretion)
- A 75% pass rate is required in the previous year you had an application approved. Evidence is required of these academic results.
- Completed Koha statement and evidence of completing this
- Must reside permanently in New Zealand
- Confirmation of enrolment into qualification, level, subject area and tuition fees
- Identification provided on file such as birth certificate, driver’s license or passport
- Official bank deposit slip (must contain bank logo, account name and number)
- Fully completed application form
Only one grant application is available per individual in any calendar year period.
If no tuition fees are being charged by the tertiary institute, no grant payment will be made available.
Failure to provide the above information may result in your application being declined. Sole discretion to accept, withdraw or decline a grant application that does not meet criteria rests with us. Decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into.
Cut off is 5pm Friday 16th February 2024.