Working alongside the health sector, marae and whaanau to co-design and develop models of service for improved wellbeing outcomes for whaanau.
Through the design and establishment of on iwi and whaanau centric governance and leadership model in health we want to drive improved wellbeing outcomes for whaanau. How we collaborate with key partners is essential and as part of the broader strategy supporting marae to be Koiora hubs for their communities will help improve reach and community leadership in health.
Maaori life expectancy continues to fall well below that of the average New Zealander.
Maaori needs are not being met by the New Zealand health system and Maaori are underrepresented in the health profession.
The WAI Health 2575 Report highlights the systemic challenges facing our current health system.
Covid-19 offered the opportunity to showcase how iwi, Maaori service providers and DHBs could work better together for improved outcomes for Maaori.
Data on Maaori health and in particular tribal members would better enable iwi to take a leadership role.
- 15-20employment opportunities created within the health sector
- 20-50workforce development opportunities linked to Maaori Authority
- 10-15training/employment opportunities linked to Hauora providers (Waikato and Counties Manukau DHB)
Links to Government Priorities
- Supporting Maaori and Pasifika aspirations
- Improving child wellbeing
- Taking mental health seriously
- Building a productive nation