Tuurangawaewae marae is located on River Road in Ngaaruawaahia, on the banks of the awa Waikato. The primary hapuu for this marae are Ngaati Mahuta and Ngaati Te Wehi of the Waikato confederation. The main whare tupuna are Maahinaarangi (1929) and Tuurongo (1938), which is the Maaori monarch’s official residence.
The marae was built on land purchased in 1921 by Te Puea Heerangi. Tuurangawaewae is the headquarters for the Maaori King Movement (Te Kiingitanga). Until her death in 2006, the marae was the official residence of the sixth Maaori monarch, Te Arikinui Dame Te Atairangikaahu.